"Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory" - Gandhi
Goal Setting is vital for us to get from where we are to where we want to be. The problem can many times lie in the setting of this goals and then the execution. Most people set goals and don't achieve them for this very reason. As CrossFitters we understand how to take the hard road and apply effort to what we do. We must apply this effort wisely though if we are to attain our goals. Here are six things we can do to accurately set up our goals.
1. Identify your values - Identify your core priorities and make sure your goal doesn't detract from your values but instead harmonizes with them. When a goal is against your character and moral fiber then it is doomed to fail.
2. Identify what it is that you really want - Be specific so that you do not have any questions as to where to concentrate your efforts.
3. Write down your goals - Writing down your goal makes it more concrete and not just an abstract thought in your head. When t is in your head only it can be easy to let it be pushed aside as we react to the day's stresses. Writing a goal down is making it real.
4. Have dead lines - Set goal dates, amounts, times, and other metrics so that you can accurately measure your progress
5. Identify how you are going to achieve your goal - Its easy to write a goal but following through is another. If your goal is weight loss than something as simple as not having your weakness food in the house is an action step to achieve your goal. Anticipate the road blocks you may encounter and game plan on how to overcome them.
6. Build a support group - Your support group should be made up of people who have your interests at heart. They motivate you and encourage you to continue and hold on to your goals. If your goal is weight loss and your friends keep taking you to the ice cream store or Sonic then it will be hard to stick to your goals.
Goal setting is a powerful tool to get from where we are to where we want to be, when used properly. Some will fall into the pitfall of focusing on a dead line that when/if they miss it then they are crushed. Be mindful of your effort. If you miss a deadline then readjust your time table with the new information of why you missed the deadline. Lear from your mistakes and attack the problem wiser. Set your goals to change your present life, which will be the way that you ultimately change your future.